Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Kanji: logic and magic


     I have already mentioned Japanese Kanji in some previous posts. Once again, kanji are charachters used in Japanese language, they were borrowed from Chinese. 
      As once a week I have a Kanji class, all the time I discover something new. Until this moment I was always attempting to find logic that would help me memorize characters better. Sometimes it works, but often doesn't. For example this kanji means "alcohol"


this means a "person"
this means "fire"

 this means "oil"
 this means "sea"
  Graphics of those kanji relate to the meaning behind them. 
     However more complex kanji comprising of other smaller kanji exists, making it more difficult to memorize. For example this kanji  means "week": 

     The last category that I have uncovered is kanji that to me make no sense at all (to this moment). For example this one means "big" 
and this one means "dog"

 Is there a logical connection? The connection I am looking for is not there. However logic is still there: dog is a relatively new word in Japanese and when creating a character for dog they had to readjust some other character. This is how our kanji teacher explained relation of those two. But everything has a meaning and its purpose, we just need to search better to find it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment